Cajun Chicken and Rice
Courtesy Cody at wayfindersgalley.com
This savory Cajun Chicken & Rice has been one of my favorite meal prep recipes for years. I used to cook this over the weekend and have lunch set for the week! Now, it feeds the family and leaves enough for maybe two days of lunch…….maybe. This dish is like tortilla chips for me. Even if I’m full, I still keep eating………
So you can prepare the chicken in countless ways for this dish. You can boil it, saute it, blacken it, grill it, smoke it, bake it…….and don’t forget abut the Air Fryer! You can use a whole bird, breasts, or tenders. I’d probably steer clear of just using thighs here, though.
I prefer the Cajun Roasted Chicken. It’s, by far, the best tasting chicken that I currently make. The meat absorbs all of those flavors from the vegetables and the seasoning provides just enough boldness without making it too spicy for the kids (if you remove the skin, of course).
When all of the meat has been removed, don’t forget to boil the carcass for some extra chicken broth!
I’ve use both pork and wild game sausage for this recipe. The sausage used in the pictured dish is actually venison. I prefer a little more spice and extra sage in mine, especially for this recipe. If you’re not making your own, simply add some crushed red pepper (or buy a hot blend) and sage.
The easiest way is just to add the ingredients (water, broth, rice, and veggies) to a rice cooker, press the button, and walk away. But, the old fashioned way never hurt anybody either. Don’t be afraid to add some spice to the rice. Throw some extra parsley or Cajun season into the boiling water with the rice to vamp up the flavor. The cream of mushroom is not a requirement, but does add depth and texture (we use the 98% fat free option).
- 1 lb Chicken
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 2 cups of broth
- 2-3 celery ribs
- 1 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 small can cream of mushroom
- Cajun seasoning
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven roaster to 425.
- Chop the vegetables, saving half of an onion and one celery rib for later.
- Wash the whole chicken and remove the giblets. Stuff the cavity with the garlic, onion, celery, and red bell pepper. Liberally rub the bird down with your favorite Cajun seasoning. Place in the oven, breasts up for approximately 1 hour, or until the internal temperature is 165.
- Combine the water and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and remaining celery and onion. Reduce heat and cover until done. (approximately 20 minutes)
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until fully browned. Don’t forget to add some extra spice if you want to crank the heat a bit.
- Return to the chicken and pull 1 lb of meat. Rinse the kidney beans well. Add the chicken, sausage, and red beans to the rice and stir well. Then add the cream of mushroom and mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Return cover and cook on low for 5 – 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Occasionally stir.
- Garnish with parsley and top with your favorite hot sauce (optional).
YIELD: 10 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 343TOTAL FAT: 20gSATURATED FAT: 6gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 11gCHOLESTEROL: 72mgSODIUM: 913mgCARBOHYDRATES: 19gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 3gPROTEIN: 20g